There’s plenty of casino trivia as gambling has been around almost as long as mankind. Over the years some fun, strange and incredibly interesting facts have emerged about the games we love to play, their origins, players who went before us, and their habits.
- Playing Craps used to be referred to as rolling the bones. This is because the original six sided dice were made from animal bones. Dice game date back to 3,000 B.C, and have evolved dramatically since then, but in other ways they have also stayed the same.
- If you play 90 ball Bingo and online casino Dubai slots there are approximately 44 million different B-I-N-G-O combinations. This could explain why so many players enjoy this game, as they know they have more than 44 million opportunities to win!
- The biggest jackpot ever paid out by a land based progressive slots machine was for $39,713,982.25 and was awarded to a 25 yeas old woman who was playing on IGT’s Megabucks machine. She won this massive payout in Las Vegas in 2003 whilst playing at the Excalibur Hotel and Casino.
- The biggest progressive jackpot win online went to Georgios M (full name withheld) after he won $8.62 million playing Microgaming’s Mega Moolah slot at River Belle casino.
- Blackjack isn’t just the name of the game, it’s actually the name for a hand that equals exactly 21. If you have a hand with an Ace or a 10 for example, you have blackjack.
- European Roulette was developed before American Roulette and the game has a far lower house edge. American casinos add the extra 00 numbered pocket to the reels and effectively doubling the house edge, making it harder for players to win.
- Cheung Leung, a local warlord, introduced Keno, the popular lottery style instant win game to China in around 200 B.C.
- Gamblers fallacy is exactly that. No spin of the reels, card dealt or slots reels rolling have any bearing on a previous event ad are completely random. Every event that takes place in a casino game is completely independent of any other.
- Las Vegas may be considered the gambling capital of the world, but Macau is home to the world’s largest casino. The Venetian Macau covers over 10.5 million square feet ad s also the world’s 4thlargest building. The casino area measures over 500,000 square feet.
- When it comes to age, the Casino di Venezia in Venice is said to be the world’s oldest casino. This casino is still operational today and was built in 1638, so it’s seen a lot of action!
- In Las Vegas the first casino that was built was the Golden Gate Casino. This casino was built in 1906 in what is now referred to as Downtown Vegas. The casino was actually illegal as gambling in Vegas was only legalised in 1931.
- The Flamingo was the very first casino and resort built on the famous Las Vegas strip and was the brainchild of organised crime moguls Bugsy Siegal and Meyer Lansky.
- The oldest online casino, still in operation today is Gaming Club. This casino was opened I 1994 and to this day, is still powered by Microgaming software.